Siddington is a thriving community south of Cirencester. There is something for everyone – clubs to join, as well as a wonderful pub and an active church. We are one of the few villages lucky enough to have a shop and Post Office ready to meet all your needs.The whole village turns out for our big events, from summer fetes to carol singing, and from the annual Grow and Show to quiz nights in the Village Hall. We love the countryside around our homes. Many of us enjoy walking through the meadows and along the canal path and the banks of the River Churn.
The History of Siddington
Signs of Bronze Age and Roman habitation have been found all over the parish. The first written records start with the Doomsday Book in 1086. At that time, the parish of 'Sudintone' consisted of five manors with two priests, covering an area of 20 hides (about 1500-2000 acres). Today Siddington covers just over 2000 acres. There used to be two churches in the village, St Peter's Siddington and St Mary's Upper Siddington. The two parishes were amalgamated in 1663 under the rector of St Mary's, Dr George Bull. When St Mary's was finally demolished in 1778, some of the bricks were used to construct the rectory and the school which opened in 1860, both now standing near the site of the old church.The Siddington allotments are at the heart of the village. There can be found fellow villagers digging, sowing and planting up their allotments. We are proud that the quintessential beauty of this very special place was recognised by Country Living Magazine from May to December 2011 in a special feature called Grow and Cook.Click here to go to the village website for more details.